Last year a friend of mine got online and looked up a recipe for Chili's southwest eggrolls; however, she is vegetarian so she went to work and came up with the following. I then made a few of my own changes.
8 oz package Tempeh (or a chicken breast- diced)
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 - 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
1/2 small onion, minced
1/3 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 tablespoons diced, canned jalapeno peppers
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash cayenne pepper
3/4 cup shredded monterey Jack cheese or habanero cheddar
five 7-inch flour
Using a large sauté pan.
1. Dice 3/4's the package of Tempeh, and simmer in vegetable broth & soy sauce.
2. Chop red bell pepper, onion, jalapenos, parsley, rinse black beans, let spinich defrost & drain out water, measure corn, and spices.
3. Remove Tempeh to cutting board to cool a bit.
4.In same pan heat oil, when hot add red pepper and onion to the pan and sauté for a couple minutes until tender.
5. Dice the Tempeh(or chicken) into small cubes and add it to the pan. Add the corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt, and cayenne pepper to the pan. Cook for another 4 minutes. Stir well so that the spinach separates and is incorporated into the mixture.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.
7. Wrap the tortillas in a moist cloth and microwave on high temperature for 1 1/2 minutes or until hot. Or wrap a damp cloth around tortillas, and bake in a oven safe pan till worm and moist -this will make it so they don't break when folding the ends in.
8. Spoon approximately one-fifth (or less) of the mixture into the center of a tortilla. Fold in the ends and then roll the tortilla over the mixture. Roll the tortilla very tight, then lay them open edge down on a oiled baking pan. Brush with olive oil, and bake 400F till golden brown. About 15min.
I was missing some ingredients so I make some substitutions. I added peas for the spinach omitted jalapeno, used smoked chipotle instead of cayenne and pepper Jack cheese, Misson wheat tortillas (20 grams of fiber per) and then deep fried them. This was not as good as the recipe above but I wanted you to know what I took pics of. I served with chopped tomatoes, avocado, and sour cream.
or you can use as a topping for nachos. I also vary the ratio to fit what I have so feel free to play with this!